Upper Arlington is fortunate to have oral histories from early residents who shared their memories of the community. The Upper Arlington Historical Society continues to capture and preserve memories from residents. If you would like to be interviewed or know of someone we should be interviewing, please contact us. Also contact us if you would like to help with transcription.
We are currently working with the Upper Arlington Public Library to post oral histories at the UA Archives site. When the project is complete, it will be possible to listen to the voices while reading the transcripts of the interviews with these early residents. We currently have tapes of the following people:
Peggy Andrus, Warren Armstrong, Ben Bare, Eleanor Boardman, Marcie Brandes, Irene Brown, Robert A. Crane, Anne Cornell Christensen, John Dawson, Bob & Jo Defenbaugh, Sam Devin, John W. Galbreath, Margaret Hamlin, Walter Heischman, Pat Jones, Marcia & George Kepley, Si Lakin, Marge Kennedy Latham, Jean Lombard, Neal Magee, William M. Miller, Jean Moffatt, Bob Murphy, Joseph Neff, Charles and Jo Nelson, Frances Sayers Owen, Fred D. Pfennig, Jr., Margaret Postel, Elnora Price, Jim and Dusty Reider, John Royer, Dr. Joe Ryan, Earl Sala, Frank Sayers, Dr. Peter and Marjorie Sayers, Pete Sayers on King and Ben Thompson, Martha Shipley, Phil Stoltz, Martha Sayers Suter, Victor K. Thompson, Ben Williams
ameltia mirolo barn
The historical timbers, found in the entrance of the Amelita Mirolo Barn, were hand-hewn from local virgin growth oak. The original barn was constructed in 1838 by Thomas Legg near Reed and Fishinger roads. In December 1928, this barn was moved to 1988 Lane Road to replace a barn that had burned down on the McCoy family farm. Up until 1964, the barn was used frequently to store farm equipment, house cattle, and residents could even purchase eggs from the location.
In 2007, the City of Upper Arlington was planning to develop the new Sunny 95 Park that would include an all-season indoor facility. The Upper Arlington Historical Society suggested the opportunity to preserve one of the community's oldest farm structures. The Upper Arlington Community Foundation provided the fund-raising effort, which truly was community wide, to support the creation of the historic structure combined with a public recreation facility. From September 16-26, 2010, with the expertise of the Timbers Framer Guild, volunteers, and members of the Friends of Ohio Barns, the historical timber frame was raised by hand and the modern frame was constructed.
Scout or service groups interested in a tour about the history of the Amelita Mirolo Barn can contact the Parks & Recreation Department at 614-583-5300. See here for more information about the Amelia Mirolo Barn, including rental information.
miller ice house
In 1998, the Upper Arlington Historical Society was delighted to have the opportunity to renovate one of the oldest structures in Upper Arlington. The Miller Ice House was constructed in 1860 and served the Miller Family for many years. Lynne Brown and Bob Defenbaugh chaired the effort to renovate the ice house. John Schooley made the architectural drawings. Donations from First Community Village, the City of Upper Arlington, the Upper Arlington Historical Society and individuals made this project a reality.
During the years that the Miller family lived on the site, a large windmill drew water from a very deep well. The ice house was filled every winter with ice cut from the Scioto River and packed in sawdust. The ice would last all summer long. The Miller Ice House is located on the grounds of First Community Village, enter off of Waltham Road at Riverside Drive. The public is welcome to visit. In the summer, the Miller sisters would hostess lemonade parties on the grounds.
Ohio Bicentennial Markers
The Upper Arlington Historical Society applied for and received two Bicentennial Markers to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Ohio statehood in 2003.
The Scioto Trail marker tells about the path traveled by Wyandot Indians, across Ohio. It is located at Wyandot Hill Park, off Riverside Drive at Lane Road, at the gravesite of Bill Moose, the last of the Wyandot Indians.
Upper Arlington Historic District
The Upper Arlington Historic District marker is located at Miller Park, outside the library, and explains the development of the community.