Historic Upper Arlington
Upper Arlington was founded by brothers King and Ben Thompson, who purchased the original 840 acres from James T. Miller in 1913. Inspired by the Country Club development in Kansas City, the Thompsons envisioned an idealistic residential community for Columbus.
Our Historical District
In October of 1985, the Upper Arlington Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Park Service of the United States Department of the Interior.
From recording oral histories for posterity to saving / restoring historical buildings, the Upper Arlington Historical Society is making sure the past is not forgotten.
The UA Archives website presents original documents, photographs, maps, and other media. Through the UA Archives, the Library cultivates ongoing partnerships with the Upper Arlington Historical Society, the City of Upper Arlington, the Upper Arlington City School District, community organizations, and individuals to digitize items of historical interest and make them available to the public.
Historic distric Building GuideLines
The purpose of the Guidelines is to acquaint residents of the Upper Arlington Historic District with the heritage and responsibility that accompanies the privilege of living in an historic district. This information helps residents restore or preserve their homes to the original architecture or to renovate them sensitively.