The 2018 Wall of Honor induction ceremony is Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 3:00 p.m. at the Municipal Services Center (3600 Tremont Road). All are invited to attend. Refreshments following ceremony.
See more information about UA's Wall of Honor. (scroll down)
The 2018 inductees are:
Jacob L. “Jake” Will was an active member of Upper Arlington for 86 years and was the general contractor and owner of J.L. Will & Company. Jake’s passion for the Tri-Village community and Upper Arlington was apparent through his involvement on a number of committees, such as the Northwest Kiwanis Club, the Historical Society’s committee for the Wall of Honor, and the Community Improvement Corporation. Jake was known to make sure something got done if it needed to, like helping develop and build a new picnic and restroom facility at Northwest Kiwanis Park. A graduate of The Ohio State University and a U.S. Army veteran, Jake was a strong mentor, teacher and friend to many of our community’s current leaders.
Jeanne (McCoy) Purnhagen Schaal was a resident of Upper Arlington for 33 years, and was an active member in a number of clubs and organizations throughout the community. An employee of Ohio Bell, Battelle, Clyde Williams & Co., and the National Board of YMCA, Jeanne also dedicated much of her time to community service. She was a very active member and the first female president of the Northwest Kiwanis Club, and served as president of the American Business Women’s Association (Rose Capital Chapter). Jeanne was also the founding director and executive director of the Ohio Business Week Foundation that worked to mentor high school students.
Clark Pritchett was a resident of Upper Arlington for 31 years. He received his B.A. in Economics in 1965 from The Ohio State University and graduated with his Juris Doctor degree from the OSU College of Law in 1968. Out of college, Clark practiced as an Attorney at Law and was elected to serve on the Upper Arlington City Council in 1998. From 2003-2006, Clark was the Council’s President and Mayor. Clark’s contributions to the community and region will be remembered by the donation of kitchen equipment for the Amelita Mirolo Barn that he helped secure, and the newer downtown Hilton that lifted Columbus into contention for major conventions.
J. W. Jones was a resident of Upper Arlington for 22 years. In 1920 J. W. Jones began his work in Upper Arlington schools as the President of Upper Arlington School, later renamed to Upper Arlington High School. At the time of presidency, J. W. taught math and biology to students as well. When the new high school building was constructed in 1924, J. W. was appointed as the district’s first full-time superintendent for 20 years. J. W.’s passion for learning led him to play an instrumental role in establishing The Marwick School of Supervised Play in 1933, the first preschool in Upper Arlington. Throughout his 10 years of teaching and his time as the face of Upper Arlington’s school district he made a huge impact on developing Upper Arlington schools into what they are today.